Schrodinger's Bird

I was chasing a butterfly when I noticed a small ball of feathers nestled in the grass near the treeline.

My heart sank.  "Please," I prayed.  "Please don't let that be a dead bird.  I can't handle a dead bird.  Please God."

Despite my fears or perhaps because of them, I took a step closer and that was when I noticed that the bird had tucked his head under his wing and that his tiny chest was rising and falling as he breathed.

For the past six months, I have gotten to know the birds at Hope.  All of them have relative levels of comfort around me, some fleeing immediately the second I move, or like the osprey, screeching and taking flight as soon as I leave the car.  Others watch and wait.  But none let me as close as this bird.  He wasn't dead, and I was grateful, but I worried he was sick.

"Hey," I whispered to him.  "Are you okay?"

He raised his head and blinked at me, like he was a child I had woken too early for school.

"Are you okay?" I asked again, and began snapping pictures as he blinked.  I told him how beautiful he was as I began to think of having to call someone to get help for this bird.

But a few more seconds passed, and the bird turned to his left and hopped/fluttered away, behaving exactly as I had watched his cousins and brothers and sisters behave over the last few months.

Not dead.  Not ill.  Just sleeping.

I laughed--I was so relieved.  Just sleeping.  Sometimes our worst fears are confirmed, and sometimes they fly away on the wings of bird.


Comments