A Little Peace

There were three police cars parked outside my building this morning as I was leaving. They were there to deal with a domestic disturbance in the condo across from mine. And all I could think was how universal human suffering is.

I have lived in many different places in my life, scary places and nice places and in all those places, I have witnessed human suffering and the effects of domestic abuse, drunk driving accidents, suicides, vandalism and arson.

Suffering happens to all of us--in different ways. Not one of us is immune. And each of us has learned over the years to cope in different ways. This morning, despite what was happening in my building, I was more determined than ever to get to church and walk a little and look for new things to make me smile.

Today the water was clear enough and the fish determined enough that I was able to see the fish for the first time and not just hear them plop around in the water. It brought me a little extra peace this morning.



Comments