Following Hope

"Hope is a delusion," a commenter posted the other day to a CNN article on the man who recited the Lord's Prayer as a tornado was barreling down on his house.  Truly if you want to spend your day depressed, read the comments to various news stories online.

Fridays are the worst days for me at Hope.  It's lawn mower day.  That means no birds, no silence, no stillness, just wind and warmth and a sore foot to keep me company today.  Though I took a few pictures, I did so almost reluctantly knowing that my heart, my hope was elsewhere.

I drove across the street to the grocery store and it was there I found my hope again.  All the birds that normally populate the grounds at Hope were hanging out at the grocery store, like those rebel teenagers in the old movies, playing dice and hooky.  Several flew mere feet from my face.  Even the squirrels were in on it.  One squirrel, hanging upside down on the tree, turned back to grab his tail as if it was attacking him.

As I stood at a hibiscus tree, the birds landed in branches so close I could touch them, but didn't stay so long that I could snap their picture.

And so I am breaking the rules today.  Today's picture is not from the property of Hope, but it is a picture of hope.  It is a picture that says hope can be found anywhere.  And if it's not where you are currently at, then search for it, seek it out, never stop looking.  It is in the seeking that we will find.

On the way home, I noticed a man on the sidewalk taking a picture of something across the street.  I've sometimes wondered what people think when they see me taking pictures.  Immediately, I looked to try and find what he was taking a picture of.

It was the flag, that massive flag on Wickham right before Murrell.  It was billowing in the wind.  And he had stopped to take a picture, I'm guessing, because today that flag brought him some sort of peace and hope.

Hope is not a delusion.  Hope moves us physically and spiritually.  It lifts us.  It causes us to stop and take pictures.  It causes us to stop and pray.  It is the little factory that spins within our soul and keeps us going every day.

Without hope, what are we?

Comments