The Divine Artist--An Introduction to Contemplative Photography


I had promised my friend Laura alligators if we took a walk at the Wetlands in the afternoon.

I figured it was sunny.  It was warm.  It was the perfect time to see gators and we were not disappointed.

We passed a few lounging in the grass, just off the road and near the water.  They gazed up at us, sleepily blinking.  Laura gave them a wide berth.  I got a little closer and took a few pictures.  I was used to drowsy gators.

And, as I have always explained to Laura, she doesn’t have to outrun the gator.  All she has to do is outrun me, which shouldn’t be a problem.

Gators aside—everyone wants to see the gators—what I really wanted Laura to see that day were several nests, anhinga and Great Blue Heron nests.  The Great Blue Herons couldn’t really be called babies anymore but they were still nest-bound, still dependent on their mother for food.

I pointed out one nest, sitting high in a palm tree and Laura took out her own camera and snapped picture after picture of the juveniles.

I stayed quiet, allowing her to just soak in the moment.  The anhinga nest was up ahead and I was squinting in the sun, trying to see if the babies were out and visible.

After a minute, we started walking again, me focused on the road ahead and Laura still mesmerized by the Great Blue Heron nest.

And that was when it happened.

Godzilla, previously hidden in the grass, decided to wake up and walk across the road, not twenty feet in front of us.



Now all the alligators that we had seen up until that point had all been medium-sized gators, six-footers, large enough to be impressive, but not terribly scary.  And also—they had been sleeping.

This guy was easily ten foot-plus, although admittedly gators are always going to look big when they’re walking right in front of you.  But he was at least a ten-footer and most importantly, he was wide awake and moving.

There was a car coming down the road toward us and the driver stopped, opened her door and carefully stepped out, using the door as a shield as she held up her own camera.

But Laura and I didn’t have a car.  Our cars were back in the parking lot, a good half-mile away.

And though I had slowed to a stop, Laura was still looking at the heron nest and continuing to move unknowingly toward the gator.

“Laura, stop,” I said, slapping at her arm.  “Stop, stop, stop.”

It took us about a second to start taking pictures.

Godzilla ignored us, moving into the grass on the other side of the road and collapsing just inches away from the water for his nap.  When you’re cold-blooded, a walk across the road is exhausting.

Laura and I just stood there, stunned.  Our hearts were hammering in our chests.  I think I might have been laughing, because I am one of those weird people who laughs when confronted by alligators, or doctors, or strangers or anything else my brain deems terrifying.

So, what is the first thing you do when you’ve had an encounter with a gator?

You start talking.

You can’t stop talking.

You have to tell everyone you know what just happened.

The first person, Laura and I stopped was the woman who had been hiding behind her car door.

“Wasn’t that amazing?” we said to her.

She was smiling and shaking her head.  She couldn’t believe it either.

Then we stopped a couple who was walking toward us to tell them about the gator too.

“It’s still there,” I said, pointing them to the large, shadowy lump in the grass.

Frequently, when I’m at the Wetlands and I am blessed with a wonderful photo opportunity, I cannot wait to get home and share the picture with everyone I know.  Often, I am so anxious to share those pictures of eagles and deer and alligators that I will take a picture of the picture on my camera with my cell phone so I can text it quickly to friends.

But, of course, there is something more here than just alligators, than just herons and bobcats, eagles and turtles.  There is God, the Divine Artist.

Every morning, I am out somewhere, taking pictures, but most importantly every morning I am out there somewhere spending time with God.

Photography has become a prayerful practice for me.

In fact, there is a name for it, contemplative photography.

Let me try to explain.

This past Friday was a rough day.  I was worried about a friend and her husband who was having surgery that day.  I had another friend text me that a former coworker of mine just revealed that he had cancer.  That of course brought up memories of my mom’s death from cancer.  And all of that was a reminder that I had my own biopsy upcoming.

Life is fragile.

We know this, but some days life seems paper-thin, ready to depart and leave our world in a literal heartbeat.

That morning, I was out at the storage ponds next to the Viera Wetlands watching hundreds of birds, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Ibises, both Glossy and White, Little Blue Herons and Black-necked Stilt Walkers, feed in the shallow waters.

With so many birds, there was a lot of competition and a lot of territorial squabbles, a lot of beating of wings and squawking.

But one of the things that fascinated me so much that morning was how no matter how large the bird, from the crow-size Grackle to the massive Great Egret or Great Blue Heron, all seemed capable of a singular act of magic.

I would watch them hover—just hover over the water, or over a branch or stick, beating their wings in great swooping, but slow strokes.  It seemed impossible that they could stay aloft. 

But they did, until their toes found purchase and they steadied themselves.



When I got home, I pulled up those pictures.  I was thinking again about how fragile life is and yet how these birds seemed so steady.  What was God trying to tell me with these birds?

And so, I wrote this:

THE BREATH OF GOD
Even on the days
when any solid ground
feels unsteady under
my own feet,
I watch the birds settle
on the smallest perches
with barely a flutter,
with barely a feather displaced.

I watch them, both
the graceful Snowy Egret
and the Angel Gabriel of birds,
the Great Egret,
hover in mid-air,
as if the very breath of God
were keeping them aloft,
keeping their toes dry.

And I know that God cares
as much for the bird,
as He does the autumn leaf,
as He does me, bringing us
all safely and not at all randomly
to where we need to be.

This is how photography becomes poetry and how poetry becomes prayer.

This is the essence of Contemplative Photography.  To view the world through a lens and ask the question, “What story is God telling?”

Or, “How is God speaking to me today?”

And making these questions something I ask daily has put me in the presence of God in ways I could not have imagined.

When you learn that God is just as present in the small moments as He is in the big, in the weddings, in the graduations, in the birthdays and births, when you learn that God is there in the tiniest fly, surfing the sunrise atop a leaf, then each day becomes special and worth waking up for.

Some months ago, I was walking the prayer labyrinth at Crossroads United Church of Christ and as I passed a hibiscus bush, I noticed a tiny, no bigger than my thumb, tree frog curled up on a leaf, sleeping.  If I have ever told you about tree frogs before then you know I don’t call them that.  I call them booger frogs, because that’s what they look like, like a big old piece of grey-green snot.



So here was this little booger frog.  The sun was up.  I think it may have been a little cold that day and like most of us, he was not interested in moving until it got a bit warmer.

“Wake me when it’s eighty degrees,” is the motto of every Floridian, I think.

I just stood there, watching him, transfixed.  I kept waiting for my presence to startle him, for him to jump, but all he did was simply open his eyes just a crack, like I used to do when I was a kid and my mom was trying to get me to wake up and I wanted to see her, but I didn’t want her to know I was awake. 

Later, when I sat down to write about that frog, I had an old hymn playing in the background.  Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

And I decided to incorporate a line from that hymn into what I wrote.  Here is what I wrote:

This morning I watched
a tiny tree frog, curled
up on a drooping, shaded leaf.

He was just beginning
to blink away sleep
and last night’s dreams.

Around us, the wind swirled,
and the leaf shook,
but that little frog,
nestled in his hammock,
knew a peace I long
to know, Lord.

And so, I must ask,
please, Lord,
Bind my wandering
heart to Thee.

God always surprises me with something.  In one of my poems, I wrote these words:

I am looking
for the incredible, the unexplainable,
proof of God’s divine artistry.

I am looking for perfection,
for color, for song, for the symphony
that played the earth into creation.

I am looking for God,
and He never disappoints.


I can’t tell you how many times I have been out at the Wetlands or here at Hope or at the beach and uttered these words out loud—What is that?

If I say those words, chances are I am seeing something completely new and unexpected.

I was at the Wetlands one morning and noticed that the car in front of me had stopped and that a fellow photographer was taking a picture of a bird in a tree.

Now, I thought, oh probably just a hawk or an osprey.  I was secretly hoping it might be the Northern Harrier that had made the Wetlands its home this past winter.

But as I drove closer, and squinted at the bird, backlit by the sun, I noticed that this bird was something new.  It was large, like a hawk, but its head was dark, almost like it was wearing a mask.

And here it was sitting at the top of this tall, barren tree, unconcerned with me, and surveying the land around it for breakfast.

I took picture after picture after picture.  I had no clue what I was taking a picture of, only that it was something new.

It was only later that I was able to identify it as a Peregrine Falcon, my very first.

All I day, I thought how proud he looked, sitting in that treat, how majestic and I wrote this:

On Wednesdays,
the Wetlands are silent
and still with alligators,
sitting like stone-faced,
gargoyles, guarding an altar
of green and seeming to dream
with eyes half open—
it’s a skill, I’m told.

And birds alike stand
in their nests, high above
the waters and do not bend
or sway in the wind
but instead fulfill the words
of Isaiah ... “My lord, I stand
continually on the watchtower ....

On Wednesdays.

Of course, my biggest, “What was that?” moments have come here at Hope with my encounters with the bobcats here.

Although there had been rumors of bobcats here for years, it was only two years ago that I almost literally stumbled across one in the prayer labyrinth for the first time.

I was here early one morning to take pictures and when I rounded the corner up by the front of the church, I saw something brown moving just behind the bushes in the labyrinth.  I thought it was a rabbit at first, but I took out my camera, zoomed in and was shocked when the face of a bobcat filled the frame.



He was a big guy.

I started taking pictures and then texting Pastor Debbie.

“There’s a bobcat in the labyrinth,” I wrote.

“Don’t get too close,” she wrote back.

“I think if you’re close enough to identify it as a bobcat, you’re probably too close,” I answered.

But he wasn’t interested in me.  He wasn’t skittish.  He got up and left the labyrinth, sneaking through a spot in the bushes.

In the past couple of years, there have been many sightings of various bobcats here at Hope, from the one that infamously strolled past the sanctuary windows during communion, to the siblings, the trail camera caught playing on the bridge behind the church.  They have run from me, they have posed for me.

I haven’t seen one, though, in months and when I go that long without seeing one, I do get anxious.
I wrote about that restlessness in this poem:

MATTHEW 5:3

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

It is a restless spirit
that sends me searching
for You, Lord, that makes
me hold my breath

as I wait for the sunrise,
as I wait for the clouds
to lift and the fog to clear,
as I wait for the winter

birds to return to the Wetlands,
as I wait for color to return
to a place somehow both
sunbaked and overwatered,
leaving the land looking
both gray and pale.

So, I wait, Lord, for You.
I search the skies for You.
I smile at the speckled kestrel.
My heart races, my breath
catches in my throat as I watch
a bobcat emerge from under the trees.

I am restless, Lord,
until I find You.


Most days, though, you are going to find God in the familiar.  Not every day can be a bobcat day or a Bald Eagle day or gator day.

There are swans in the neighborhood just down the street from me.  People rarely pay them much attention unless they are nesting, then all of a sudden, the streets are lined with paparazzi on baby-swan watch.

The swans are pretty tame and I’m fairly certain are fed regularly by the people in the neighborhood.
I say this because when I stopped one day to get their picture, the swans swam right over to me with no fear.

And, I have to say, swans are big.

I don’t want a swan running up to me, pecking me for food.

But these two stayed in the water, mere feet from me and I got this lovely picture of the water dripping from the swan’s beak.



What an image.

I wrote this:

MATTHEW 5:6

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Lord, I am not thirsty,
I am parched.

Lord, I am not hungry,
I am starving.

In other words, I am desperate
for You, Lord.

I long for Your righteousness.

I long for Your strength.

I long for Your presence.

And so I look for You,
in places of silence and stillness.

And I wait.


This is all of us just about every day, isn’t it?  If we’re being honest?

Don’t we all have this hunger, this thirst to be close to God?

We all know that in order to be happy we have to make sure we are taking care of our physical and emotional needs.

But there is a real danger in ignoring our spiritual needs.

Contemplative photography is the way I meet my spiritual needs, but I would encourage you to explore your own spiritual needs and what it would take to fill these needs.  Maybe just a morning walk.  Maybe a trip to the beach.  Maybe just a few deep breaths.

To purchase my latest book, The Divine Artist, click on the link below.


The Divine Artist

Comments