Easter is Over, But Jesus Remains--A Morning Prayer Reflection


When I was teenager, my mom decided that, for whatever reason, she would start calling me “Ken” instead of “Kendra.”

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I loathed being called, “Ken.”

I tried to tell her to cut it out, but she kept it up.  I think she secretly enjoyed teasing me with it.

So, I just stopped answering her when she called me “Ken.”  I flat out ignored her.

I’d be in one room.  She’d be in another.

“Ken?” she’d call out.

Silence.

Nothing.

Not even a breath from me.

Seconds would pass and then she would give in.

“Dra?” she’d add.

And before long we were back to Kendra.

I happen to love my name.  I’ve never wanted any other.  It’s a relatively simple name and though I’ve met other Kendras, it’s also fairly unique.

But even its simplicity has not stopped people from butchering it.  I had one teacher call me Kenya, and my guidance counselor in high school called me Kendora, who I assume was a distant relative of that famous witchy mother-in-law, Endora, from the TV show, Bewitched. 

Even my teaching certificate, renewed and presumably corrected multiple times over the fourteen years I taught, spelled out my name as Kenora Lacy.  Somehow Kendra Lacy was still allowed to teach.

Names are important.

They are us.  They carry with them everything that we have ever been from the moment we were born.  They connect us to family, to spouses. 

My mom once said that the biggest regret she had was going back to her maiden name after she and my dad divorced.

Why?

Because she no longer shared a name with me.

When someone says your name, they are making a connection with you.  Maybe they are saying it for the first time.  Maybe they are saying it for the last time, but every time they say that name, there is a connection, an acknowledgement as to who you are and who you are to that person.

When someone says your name, they are saying, “I know you.”

And you know who knows us better than anyone, who never forgets a name?

Isaiah 4:1 reads, “But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.”

God knows us.  He knows our name even when we do not.

He tells Jacob in Genesis 32:28, “You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel.”

In John 1:42, Jesus says to Simon, “You are to be called Cephas.” Peter, in other words.

God calls us by name to get our attention.

In Exodus 3:4, the first words God speaks from the burning bush are these, “Moses, Moses.”  In other words, stop, listen.  I know you.

He knows us better than anyone, better than our parents, our spouses, our teachers, our friends.  He knows us and because He knows us, not only should we stop and listen, we should never turn away.  How can we?

When Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead, he doesn’t say, “Hey you in that tomb over there, get up and come out!”

He calls Lazarus by name.  “Lazarus,” he says, “come out.”  Because who in all the universe could ignore the voice of God calling to them?  What could stop any of us from answering the summons of God?  Nothing.  Not even death in this case.

God calls us by name and when He does, we know Him.

Today’s Gospel reading from Mark tells how Mary Magdalene and the other women discover that Jesus’ tomb is empty.  But I have to say that I prefer John’s recounting over Mark’s.  Mark’s Gospel does not have Jesus appearing to the women.  But in John’s Gospel, Jesus is there and has a one on one moment with Mary Magdalene that shows us just how important we are to God and how well He knows us.

In John 20:16, Mary Magdalene is the first to see the risen Jesus, but does not recognize him at first.  She mistakes him for the gardener.  Maybe the sun was in her eyes.  But she does not recognize him until he says one word … her name … Mary and then her recognition is instantaneous. 

God knows us.

This past week, at our Good Friday service here at Hope, we were invited to hammer nails into a cross.

It’s not that I’ve never heard nails hammered into wood before, but there was something different that night.  The sound of each nail going into the cross—it was painful.  I closed my eyes.  It was hard not to be transported back to that time, that day with Jesus at Golgotha.  It was so painful to listen to that I thought I would have to leave.  I couldn’t bear it.



And then something happened.

I told people later, the sound of hammering to me became the sound of knocking.

And I was reminded of the verse in Revelation 3:20, where Jesus says, “Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking.”

On Easter Sunday we celebrate Jesus’ resurrection, but the story does not end there.

Easter is over.

But Jesus remains—standing at the door, knocking.

And, I believe, calling us by name.

Amen.



Comments