Jesus at the Door


I do not walk the Stations
of the Cross alone,
I think, as I pass
Simon of Cyrene,
Veronica and her cloth,
the soldiers,
the Marys,
the people on the streets.

Somewhere in the distance
there is the sound of nails
being hammered into the cross,
and even in the heat of day,
a chill runs through me.

I am not alone.
Outside, midafternoon,
the sun so high
and nearly summer strong,
turning the sky a blinding
white—but there drifting
in front of me, another king,
a monarch butterfly,
all oranges and blacks,
flitting along the path,

lingering here and there,
pausing and then drifting again
seemingly at random,
landing on this blade of grass,
on this piece of clover,
before finding its way
back to the path
and walking with me

and past
Simon of Cyrene
and Veronica and her cloth,
the soldiers,
the Marys,
the people on the streets,
before landing at the feet of Jesus.

And suddenly, I can hear it,
the sound of hammering
is the sound of knocking,
and it is Jesus at the door.



Comments