Be Still

My mom was always on the move.

She couldn't sit still even when she was sitting still.

When I was a kid, she used to put on her favorite ABBA record and sit on the couch for hours, rocking back and forth to the music, like she was a human metronome.

She said she got that need to move from her mother and that I had gotten it from her.

Every day when I go to the Wetlands, I pass photographers, cameras mounted on tripods, seated in the grass, waiting.  They wait for the shot.  They don't rely on luck.  They're still and I know I've messed up plenty of their shots by startling the birds with the crunch of gravel under the tires of my car.

When I go to the Wetlands, I don't sit.  I drive or sometimes walk.  I move.  I pick cameras with good auto settings because I know if I stumble across the perfect moment, I won't have time to mess with the camera settings.

But today, I told myself, if I found the right spot, where there weren't other cars or people, that I would stop.  I would turn the car off and I would sit.

And I found that spot near where I had spotted some Hooded mergansers the other day.  They were gone today and I wondered if they had just been passing through.  But there was plenty still to take pictures of.

It was a crisp morning, cold.  The air felt like it was elbows, sharp points and stinging.  But still, I leaned out the open window and I took a long, deep breath and then another and another.

I found the Great blue heron and a Belted kingfisher, sitting in separate trees, but still only a few feet from each other.  They sit like this nearly everyday.  And as I took their pictures, the kingfisher jerked his head behind him and all of sudden, there exploded from the tall grass a mass, a swarm of female grackles, spotted here and there with a male Redwing blackbird.

There were so many and they were so fast.

When groups of birds fly together, even groups with a mixture of types, of grackles and Redwing blackbirds, of ibises and egrets, they never simply fly from point A to point B.  They ride the wind.  They dance.  They spiral.  They dive.  They soar.  They are synchronized in a way that requires no practice.  They only have to be.

A moment later, they settled again, disappearing once more into the grass.

And all was quiet.


Comments