Dragonfly

I am amazed at the variations in color with dragonflies. I am even more amazed that though male and female and juvenile dragonflies all differ in color, that these different colored dragonflies I've been taking pictures of are most likely entirely different species of dragonfly.

Sometimes I laugh, remembering that the only science project I ever failed at was the insect collection we were supposed to create when I was in seventh grade. I procrastinated until the first freeze of the year and there was nothing left but a few earwigs. My project was pitiful.

It makes me ill now to think of capturing and killing these dragonflies and other insects that I've been taking pictures of. If I were in seventh grade now, completing another insect collection, I would argue with the teacher to let me take pictures instead.

And I would win that argument.



Comments