The Day After

The osprey didn't seem to care that I was watching him this morning as he groomed himself, picking through his feathers one by one.  I imagine being an osprey is dirty work.

Nor did the cardinal seem to care that I was a few feet away.  She was the color of an autumn leaf that had already fallen and spent too much time on the ground.  She was faded and brown feathers mixed with the dull red.

The only bird to pay any attention to me was this mockingbird, who watched me over his shoulder while he stood as proudly on his branch as the osprey lorded over his.

Though it was cool this morning, the air did not have the bite that it did yesterday, did not have the clear, sharp focus of winter winds.  It was a lazy morning, the day after Thanksgiving.

I, myself, am ready for my nap.

Comments