Lost in Flight

Note to self: when taking a photo of a bird in a tree, do not stand directly beneath bird.

Lucky for me the bird had poor aim.

Or maybe it was just a warning shot.

An hour made all the difference between this morning and yesterday morning.  The grounds were far more active.  Nothing was still.  More than one of the pictures I took today was of a blurry bird in flight.  Another bird, a woodpecker I think, hung upside down from a branch, but by the time I took the picture, he was gone.  The rabbit showed me his fluffy white tail.  The squirrels scurried up and down the trees and then swung from the vines like miniature furry Tarzans. 

Everything was busy.

The only time I felt the stillness and quiet was when I watched the sunlight dazzle, dancing off the water like the magical fairies of old.

Almost every picture I took was a blur, either because I wasn't patient enough, rushing the shot, or my hands were too fatigued to hold the camera steady.

When I got home and looked at the pictures, I had to discard all but a few.

When I take a picture, I always try to look for natural framing and I love the way in this picture that the pine needles frame this bird in a halo of green.  I love the contrast of the blue sky and white clouds behind the green tree and bluish-gray bird. 

He almost looks proud.

He should be.  It wasn't a hit, but he did send me fleeing from under the tree.  And then a second after this picture, when I snapped a second photo, he was gone, nothing but a mess of blurred wings.

Comments