Footprints

In the environmental world, footprint refers to the mark we, as individuals, leave on the world, by the things we consume, the things we throw away, the cars we drive--virtually anything we add to the environment that negatively affects it.

This morning as I walked around Hope, for the first time I began thinking of my literal footprints, the literal footsteps I take each morning.  For the first time, it occurred to me that I while I wanted to take the best pictures, the best examples of what I saw around me, I didn't want to take those pictures at the expense of the environment around me.

I didn't want to disturb the squirrel that was eating.  I didn't want to frighten him away.  The same for the rabbits.  It's so rare I find two together, I didn't want to startle them or disrupt their morning.  They have enough to worry about and the land around Hope should be a place of peace for all living things.

So I stepped lightly this morning.  I stepped slowly.  I stopped--a lot and I left before I had a chance to send the rabbits scurrying away.

I think of all the little things in my day that cause me stress: the cat hunched over in pain, the car that cuts me off at an intersection, the fact that even though I'm home now, I have to go out later for medicine I forgot to pick up.

Little things add up.  We don't even realize it.

And today I didn't want to be one of those little things to the animals at Hope.

Today I've included two pictures.  I was blessed to capture them.


Comments