Paint by Numbers

I've always been a perfectionist.

And initially I took that perfectionism with me when I started this project.

I wanted to take pictures of the perfect flower or tree or bird or rabbit in the perfect light at the perfect distance.

I've given up on that.

Nature is not remotely perfect.  It's wild.  The rabbits are lean and rangy, not anything like the fluff balls sold at the pet stores.  The flowers and the trees are always in a state of flux, either just blooming, or fully bloomed or beginning to die and most times they are all these things at once.

So I look for the picture that will tell a story.  I look for the flower that has character.  I look for the bird or rabbit or insect that is in the process of living in a way that is completely foreign to how we live.

Yesterday I mentioned that things of nature frequently look alien and I see more and more of that every day as I focus on those details.

Comments